Removing Adhesive Gunk from Your Scissors

This is one of those things we dread doing: cleaning our scissors from the sticky leftovers of our adhesive tapes. What we commonly do is, get a piece of masking tape and repeatedly use it to peel off the gunk. The thing is, I'm not as patient with this activity as I would have me believe.

Then I remembered that, back in those days when I was still working as scale model maker and we're using quick-dry glue, we use acetone or nail polish remover to clean our hands of the adhesive. So I thought, why not use it to clean my scissors. And it worked! Just take a cotton ball, wet with acetone or nail polish remover, and slide off the blade. It works really, really fast.

7 comments:

Kirsty 3:11 PM  

Thanks for the tip, worked a treat!

Ilyn Florese-Alanguilan 3:46 PM  

Glad to be of help! :)

Eula 3:18 PM  

This is so much quicker than masking tape! Thanks for the great tips you're posting. I love reading about and looking at your projects, even though I'm not a paper crafter myself. They're just so pretty!

Alittlegrace 11:12 AM  

Thanks so much. So much more sustainable than buying a new pair. Worked brilliantly!

Alittlegrace 11:13 AM  

Very sustainable practice: so much better than buying a new pair of scissors and it works brilliantly! Thank you.

Ilyn Florese-Alanguilan 1:17 PM  

You're welcome!

Unknown 12:49 PM  

Thanks heaps. Was considering scraping my scissors with a scoured, soap and water...

Ms. Ilyn is a licensed architect who decided that teaching arts and crafts, or making them, is way more fulfilling than dealing with contract documents, estimates and technical specifications. She taught Architectural Drafting and Painting to High School Students for five years, and Arts for Pre-K to Grade 3 Pupils for three years. Now, she's back to dealing with the nitty gritty of architecture, but the meditative aspect of papercrafting remains unchanged.

Please email us at: info.paperbasket@gmail.com