In the Meantime...

I am preparing a sort of syllabus for introduction to Architecture.

My friends' daughter is going to college this school year and going to take Bachelor of Science in Architecture in one of the good universities in the country. She doesn't want to go in ignorant as to what she'd face there academically that's why she expressed interest in being tutored in that direction. We don't have senior high school yet for that to be possible for her to do and get credits for.

Her mom came to me and asked me if I could provide her with some introductory lessons. Here's the thing that makes it funny: the kid's father, also a good friend, is an architect, a very prolific one at that, and has an established firm of his own. I don't think he has the patience to teach, though, even if he knows more than I do in practical terms since he's the one who does the actual designing and building.

After reviewing what I came up with, it looks like it's going to cover the first two years of her major subjects. I think that would be enough to boost her confidence in joining a herd of students who came from more well-known private schools in the metro... we all know it's a thing for people from the province (from those abroad, that phrase is something like 'from the country') like us to prove ourselves. (Personally, I just didn't care back then, except for that time I was in a calculus class filled with students who graduated from PSHS when I cried buckets of tears and blood because it was hard for me but so, so easy for them, but I digress.)

So, tomorrow, I'm going to meet with her who I've known since she was in kindergarten. It's going to be a tight schedule until school opens in August if we would follow my suggestion. We would need to talk this over so we could agree on a more workable schedule together.

After that, it's the Weekend Arts & Crafts Workshop in August. Yay!

0 comments:

Ms. Ilyn is a licensed architect who decided that teaching arts and crafts, or making them, is way more fulfilling than dealing with contract documents, estimates and technical specifications. She taught Architectural Drafting and Painting to High School Students for five years, and Arts for Pre-K to Grade 3 Pupils for three years. Now, she's back to dealing with the nitty gritty of architecture, but the meditative aspect of papercrafting remains unchanged.

Please email us at: info.paperbasket@gmail.com